Mourinho flat-out denies Real Madrid contact ahead of Famalicão clash

Last updated:
Content navigation

"No one from Real Madrid has spoken to me. I can guarantee that." José Mourinho didn't hedge, didn't deflect — he just shut the door. Twice, actually, when the question was pressed again at Friday's pre-match press conference ahead of Benfica's game against Famalicão.

The speculation linking him to a potential return to the Bernabéu had been picking up steam, but Mourinho's message was unambiguous: he has one year left on his contract at Benfica, there's been zero contact from Madrid, and as far as he's concerned, that's the whole story.

The contract situation at Benfica

Reports from Diario AS suggested Benfica are planning to offer Mourinho an extension. He wouldn't confirm it outright — "I can't say anything in advance" — but he didn't deny it either. The subtext is clear enough: there are conversations happening, just not the ones the Madrid rumour mill has been pushing.

What's more telling is how Mourinho framed his relationship with the club. "Benfica has been mine since I arrived," he said, before drawing a comparison to Mikel Arteta at Arsenal and Pep Guardiola at Manchester City — coaches who've stayed long enough to genuinely shape a squad rather than just pass through it. That's not the language of someone with one eye on the exit.

For Benfica, keeping Mourinho beyond his current deal would represent real continuity at the top — something the club hasn't always had. A manager who sees himself as building something, rather than managing in transit, changes how a squad develops, how recruitment works, how young players get integrated.

Madrid's situation remains its own separate puzzle. But if they were waiting for a crack in Mourinho's resolve here, they didn't get one. "There's nothing from Real Madrid" — said with the weariness of someone who's been through this particular media cycle many times before.

Vitory Santos
Author
Last updated: May 2026