Poland Says U-20 Women's World Cup Is Happening — But the Boycott Cloud Hasn't Lifted

Last updated:
Content navigation

Poland is pressing ahead. Despite the most significant governance crisis in modern football, the Polish Football Association confirmed Tuesday that preparations for the U-20 Women's World Cup — set to run from September 5 to 27 — are entering their final stage and on schedule.

This tournament now carries weight far beyond youth football. It will be the first FIFA competition held since UEFA's 55 member associations voted unanimously to support a boycott of FIFA events, triggered by Infantino's proposed — and then abandoned — plan to sell 20% of World Cup commercial rights to private investors for roughly $4.2 billion. That proposal landed like a grenade. The fallout is still live.

Who's in, who's staying quiet

France became the first nation to commit, followed by New Zealand, whose federation was direct: "The tournament is critical in the development for the women's game." Clear. Practical. And, reading between the lines, a deliberate decision to separate the politics from the players.

England's FA and Canada Soccer declined to comment. The U.S. Soccer federation also stayed quiet, though American participation is widely expected. That silence from three major nations isn't nothing — it's a holding position, not a confirmation.

UEFA, for its part, isn't softening. Last week it doubled down: "These conditions have not been met... UEFA has lost confidence in Gianni Infantino's presidency. That position holds." No ambiguity there.

A source close to the inter-confederation talks acknowledged that alternative tournaments have been quietly floated if the dispute escalates further. "Those talks have not yet been had and it is hoped they will not be necessary," the source said. That's not reassurance — that's a warning wrapped in diplomatic language.

Women's football is the first in the firing line

If this dispute gets worse, women's football absorbs the first hit. Beyond Poland, FIFA's U-17 Women's World Cup is scheduled for October in Morocco. European qualifying for the 2027 World Cup in Brazil is also on the calendar, with England — runners-up at the last World Cup — among the nations with scheduled matches.

The Polish federation put it plainly: "For many of these young players, this tournament represents an important milestone in their sporting careers." That's the real cost of letting this drag on — not the boardroom politics, but the players caught in the middle of a fight they didn't start.

The tournament is 25 days away. The clock, and the pressure, are both running.

Last updated: August 2026